Tuesday, April 19, 2011

let the lover be.

a little while back i had a few students present me with this quote:
“Let the lover be disgraceful, crazy, absent-minded. Someone sober will worry about events going badly.
Let the lover be.” -Rumi

"it's so you!" they told me. and i loved it.

but somewhere in the past year i've gotten away from this little mantra. i worry too much. i've become self-indulgent. my life is filled with too much clutter and stress about things that really just don't matter. my free spirit isn't a part of me the way that it used to be.

and i know that a part of this is merely just growing up. adulthood creeping in on me and it's normal that i'm not as carefree as i was when i was 18 or 19 and that's okay. plus with the addition of a husband, i can't be as selfish as i once was. i'm a part of an "us" now and i am responsible to another human being.

however i am drawing a line. i've become a slave to clutter, baggage and excess. and i've become too comfortable. it's time to simplify. get back to my roots.

how? what does that really look like? i'm not sure. i'm trying to decide if it needs to be something as dramatic as a tangible getting rid of "stuff" that keeps me from being me, or if it can be merely an attitude shift (i say that as if changing your attitude is an easy thing..) but something needs to be done because i'm finding that my over indulgent and cluttered self isn't as good as loving as i once was, and that is unacceptable. i was created to love. i'm a lover, and beyond that nothing else really matters.

san fran with my wombies
circa 2007

7 comments:

Jenni Austria Germany said...

that photo is so cute. i need to go to san fran.

meig said...

as I was reading your post I just kept saying "yes!" "me too!" "exactly!" to myself. you spoke the words that have been on my heart for some time now. I'd love to hear what changes you make and how your journey goes!

Lace.and.Likes. said...

love this lady
thank you for this
gotta remind myself of the same thing

Micaela said...

I LOVE THIS! i'm going to have to write it down in my quote book. don't you love it more when it's given to you by someone else because you live the said quote?

and that photo is amazing (as all of yours are)

Liz said...

Love that quote! We had a friend do a Rumi reading at our wedding! Brilliant. Good luck :)

Anna said...

That is a great quote.

And this photo is AWESOME. xoxo

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Super like that quote. And that photo is awesome!